Monday, September 15, 2008

Fashion, Felting & Food

I don't know how it happened, but my two teenage daughters actually decided to go through their closets this weekend. Sure Eileen talked about it before, but talk and action are very different creatures. The end result of this endevor are two very uncluttered looking closets and the back of my station wagon filled, and I do mean all the way to the top, with clothes to be donated. I'm dropping it all off today before they can change their minds.

The girls did compile a "mom might like" pile from which I gleaned 3 practically new sweaters and two pairs of pants. (The rest were mostly hideous, shapeless sweatshirts. Am I that unfashionable? Should I be offended?) The pants I'm actually going to cut into strips to add to my rag ball collection. What's this, saving stuff after declaring a war on crap? Hey, I know those rag balls are just a rag rug in waiting so they are ok to save in my book.

Speaking of rag rugs and other rescue projects (ie. projects that used rescued materials), I have found myself in possession of 3 bags of 2 1/2 foot pieces of yarn that I just discovered were wool. At first I was just irritated, what good are little snips of yarn that masqueraded as hanks of yarn? Then a calm took over, perhaps I could use them to make some felted mittens?

I've had so-so luck felting in the past, but I think this is worth a try. It certainly seems like a better idea than throwing all these aggravating little pieces out. So, to that end, I've begun knotting the pieces together into actual balls of yarn while watching movies with my husband.

A google search revealed a plethora of free felted mitten projects but I like this one because it uses a size of double pointed needles that I already have. It also has no gauge which really appeals to me as well.

Since I'll be busy all day today, I'm making the Not Your Mama's Pot Roast recipe from Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker. It's been almost two years since I made seitan in the slow cooker but now that I'm trying it again, I'm going to use Isa's seitan recipe in Robin's recipe to see if we can get that texture problem straightened out.

Now I must go; food prep, laundry and a shower await me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how your seitan turns out!

Courtney