Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Thinking About School Snacks

I just placed my August food cooperative order. I'm still having a hard time believing that I had to think about school snacks while deciding what to order. Where is the summer going?

My approach to school snacks is fairly simple, I started by asking my kids what they liked. My kids have a few favorites like muffins, pretzels, popcorn and the caramel popcorn recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette. Apples spread with peanut butter are a favorite fall snack.

Even at their young ages they've all figured out that fruit roll up type snacks, even when made of real fruit, don't have much bang for the snacking buck. They all know better than to ask for candy. In general, my kids want a substantial snack that satifies their hunger as well as there snacky craving needs.

In the interest of not overdosing on or running out of one snack or another, we're setting up a loose schedule to keep the snacks rotating. I can't stress enough how important planning is to maintaining a frugal lifestyle.

No comments: