Friday, March 07, 2008

How to Be A Kitchen Magician with Bonus Bathing Suit Rant!

When planning yesterday's dinner, I had to accept the fact that a great number of leftovers remained in the fridge from earlier in the week. There was a kidney bean and beet concoction, some of the quickie chick peas (although none of the kidney bean spread), some BBQ chickpeas and bulgur too. I get to the point where I want to cook from a clean slate, so these leftovers had to go.

Into a bowl everything went. I mashed it all with a potato masher because I couldn't face cleaning the blender! I added a scoop of peanut butter, a handful of oatmeal and a bit of water to bind it all together. In just a few minutes, burgers were cooking away.

I made a simple cream of tomato soup to go with the burgers. Here's a tip, don't add soymilk, or any milk for that matter, to hot soup. It curdles and although it tastes fine, it looks icky. I covered this screw up by making some home made croutons to toss into the soup. They are so simple I'd hardly call it a recipe.

I heated a cast iron frying pan while I cubed some bread. Once the pan was hot, I tossed the bread in and sprinkled the top with onion powder and a bit of seasoned salt. The nooks and crannies of the bread hold the seasoning in without any added oil. Just let these toast up a little and you're done.

To really cover my screw up, I served the soup in cups with croutons on top, thereby covering the little curdles completely! No one noticed. In fact, Kyle asked to take the leftovers for lunch today.

So the fridge is devoid of leftovers and today we start from scratch...

Speaking of scratching, nothing makes me itch (or is it bitch?) more than the thought of buying a new bathing suit. Why must the ones we love wear out?? I hate it for all the standard female reasons. I often wonder if I'm the only one in the world with boobs that want a little support in my bathing suit. How come you can find bathing suits to tuck your tummy, slim your hips and cinch your waist but none are marketed to hold up your boobs as if you were still in your teens?

If anyone's got a great bathing suit website (you know, bathing suits for women with real bodies but not granny suits) let us know, I can't be the only one who's wondering.

Has anyone made a bathing suit? Share, we want to hear about it!

5 comments:

Ruthie said...

Katie ~

I REALLY like Land's End swim suits, though I've never bought one from there. Check it out! landsend.com

Ruthie

Anonymous said...

I have made a handful of bathing suits. They are not difficult if you have a good stretch stitch on your sewing machine. A tip I got from a friend when I made my first one was to cut a liner for the crotch area as most of the patterns don't have this, but most of the suits you buy do. I have never added padded cups to the bra part of the suit, but I am sure it would not be too difficult. I have added a shelf-type of bra (basically sewing in an extra band which has a piece of elastic attached to the bottom of it - I hope this makes sense!) to a bandeau type suit. The thing I like best about making a suit is that I can adjust it to fit me precisely. I have a long torso and it is hard to find suits long enough to not "ride up."

Chile said...

LOL, Katie! Your blog's gonna get all kinds of interesting hits now that you've talk about itching, bithcing, and boobs all in the same post.

I like this swimsuit from Speedo. It's got a built-in bra support, higher neckline (better for swimming laps without exposing yourself!), and is lined. That means it lasts longer because the lining helps keep it from becoming see-through as it wears out. Keep in mind, though, my interest was strictly in something that was comfortable for lap-swimming. I don't particularly care if I'm fashionable. So, this probably qualifies as a granny suit...especially since they used an older lady to model it. :(

AnnMarie said...

I have a Lands' End one that I like--it's two pieces and they came separately. I will probably never buy a one piece or a two=piece sold together again. On the other hand, it doesn't have all that much top support either. I'm totally with you on that!

Anonymous said...

Land's End suits, all the way. Not inexpensive, but they're high-quality, they're supportive of le boobies, and they last.