Monday, April 14, 2008

Baby It's A Bib


The bib for my nephew's birthday sparked a lot of lively conversation among the party guests. It turns out people aren't as different as they may initially seem. There were a lot of closet crafters in the group. There was even a closet crafter who outed herself in a big way when she recreated her sons favorite baby toy for her grandson! I didn't know my mother had it in her!

There was also an almost universal feeling among the parents in the group that gift giving for children had gotten out of control. Most agreed that useful, handmade gifts were a welcome change. There was even talk of beginning mitten projects for holiday gift giving. It was really inspiring.

That's not to say I didn't raise a few eyebrows when I mentioned my penchant for unraveling thrift store sweaters as a source of yarn for my projects but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Just for the record, I love the simplicity of the bib pattern from Mason-Dixon Knitting. I just need to work on my button hole technique. I think I created a new stitch while trying to make the button hole.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Katie ~

It looks excellent!

Ruthie

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of making gifts for kids. Gift giving is ridiculous in my family. I myself am on a tight budget and last Xmas my little niece's favourite present was a packet of textas and a homemade colouring in book that i gave her. Eat your heart out, High School Musical products!