Here's a few things I learned along the way:
- Getting a DBA is easy, inexpensive ($45 in my county) and will make your life a whole lot easier in the long run.
- Getting a PO box is also relatively inexpensive ($60/year in my area, apparently it varies by area) and a lot less creepy than having your home address show up all around town.
- A website is a must but it can be very affordable (My total so far is $29.86 which covers the next three months. After that I'm looking at a monthly expense of $12.94 to maintain the website) and easy to put together. Many people I knew recommended yahoo's small business service to set up a website and, having used it, I would recommend it as well.
- You can fit 2 sheets of paper plus 6 business cards in a size 10 envelope and still use a first class stamp.
- There are a ton of ways to advertise your business for free. Craigslist, press releases in local papers, local yahoo groups and enlisting the help of friends who live locally are just a few ideas.
I'm off to find a box...