Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kntting News

If you've held out this long and you haven't watched Pardon Me I Didn't Knit That for You from the ladies at Mason Dixon Knitting, do it now. It's the perfect answer to the midwinter blues.

Speaking of knitting, I've just completed a knitted ensemble (isn't that a great word?) for my sister who just moved back to the east coast from California. I figured she'd be freezing her cookies off as she adjusted to winter in NY. With this in mind, I made her a calorimetry to keep her ears from freezing.

A pair of mittens I really liked this pattern BTW.

A scarf in a feather and fan pattern which is just about the simplest fancy looking pattern a person could knit.
Here's a close up of the feather and fan design.
I got the pattern from a classmate when I took my knitting class a few years ago but I can't find a source for it. If anyone recognizes it, let me know. The yarn and needle size are up to you. I used three strands of fingering weight yarn knit as one on size 8 needles. Here's the pattern:
Cast on 24 stitches loosely
Row 1: Knit all stitches
Row 2: Purl all stitches
Row 3: K2tog twice, (YO, knit 1) 4 times, K2tog 4 times, (YO knit 1) 4 times, K2tog twice
Row 4: Knit all stitches
Repeat rows 1-4 until scarf reaches desired length. Cast off all stitches loosely.

I'm thrilled with the way this all came out and the mitten requests just keep coming from my kids! Right now I'm working on a recycled wool (it was a sweater that I unraveled) sock to wear over their regular socks inside their snow boots.

No comments: