Friday, December 02, 2005

Steamed Brown Bread in the Slow Cooker

I swear people eat more in colder weather or maybe its because everyones been out running with Biscuit (labs need a lot of exercise). In any case, I can't keep muffins, biscuits, scones or any quick grab food in the house! Each night this week I've thought that breakfast was set for the next day only to discover its gone.

Last night I was too tired to stay up while something baked in the oven so I gave steamed brown bread a try. The recipe was in 125 Best Vegetarian Recipes by Judith Finlayson but, as always, I experimented a bit. Her recipe called for cooking on high 2-3 hours and using 3 individual 13 oz cans to cook in. I cooked it on low overnight in a pyrex bowl and it came out fine. She also used white flour, rye flour and whole wheat flour.

Here's my version of the recipe:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups plain soymilk plus 3 tsp vinegar (this is a buttermilk substitute)
1/2 cup molasses
2 Tbs olive oil (I used this but I think canola oil would work just as well)

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients in seperate bowl and add to dry ingredients. Pour into greased oven proof container of choice (remember it has to fit inside your slow cooker). Cover with foil and place in slow cooker. Pour boiling water into slow cooker. It should come up about an inch of the way on the OUTSIDE of the container with the bread batter. I screwed this step up and filled the slow cooker to an inch from the top of the container and it worked out fine. Turn cooker on low, cover and cook about 8 hours.

No comments: