Thursday, June 02, 2005

Sticking Together

I had planned to blog about my container gardening experiment tonight but I have to share something else based on the events of the day.

I have four kids and have planned since January to take the summer off to be with them. We're planning on spending the summer living simply, experimenting with solar cooking, walking to our destinations and generally exploring a kinder gentler lifestyle. Tonight, at a staff meeting, my coverage for August fell through.

I left the meeting in shock. The odds on me getting coverage for certain classes is almost nil. I teach once a week at a psychiatric center and, aside from the coworker who bailed on me, none of my coworkers are willing to go there. I can't blame them. Who really wants to take a deep inhale and be assaulted with the aromas that accompany incontinence?

Before I had time for my shock to turn to rage (and believe me it would have!) my phone rang. My coworker Jay, who has always been there for me, volunteered to take over my shifts for August. I am so grateful to her for her generosity.

Jay and I trained together, got our fitness certifications together and often cover classes for each other. That's what friends are for!

So for tonight I'm going to revel in the warm fuzzy blanket of friendship. Tomorrow I'll tell you about my container garden.

No comments: