Sunday, July 24, 2005

Fruit for my Shady Yard

The latest issue of Mother Earth News has a very interesting article on growing currants and gooseberries. Personally, I've never tasted either one but I'm intrigued because both of these berries don't mind shade and cold. My yard has plenty of both of these conditions.

I'm planning to check out a local farmer's market this week to hopefully get a taste of them. I discovered from ads in the paper that both currants and gooseberries are grown locally. If they taste good they may be a better choice than the dwarf fruit trees I've been trying to figure out where to put. I'll let you know what I discover.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi Audrey,
I'd love to see some of those recipes. As for the bike generator idea, I could've used it today. The kids all had enough energy to power Manhattan!