Monday, July 11, 2005

Getting Ready for the Townwide Tag Sale

Saturday is our little towns unofficial townwide tag sale. There is a craft fair and book sale at the local park and many people choose to schedule their own tag sales this same day. It can be a savings bonanza if you handle it correctly.

My older kids, and my Fresh Air guest, are all given a few dollars to use (or not). They all know that it will be the only money they recieve from us and it is contigent on chores being done in the weeks before. This eliminates begging and whining which I really appreciate. It has taught my daughters to be choosy as well as the fine art of haggling, which I personally am not very good at. Last year my kids ended up with two free bikes on top of all their other purchases. I'm so proud!

For me, its an opportunity to fill a few bags at the book sale and peruse the crafts for ideas. Yes, I'm one of those annoying people who look but rarely buy at a craft sale. I usually go home and jot ideas down for the upcoming holidays. The tag sale is also an opportunity for me to get a jump on the holidays and school shopping. Shopping the thrift circuit is not the same as shopping at Walmart. You never know when you may find what you've been looking for. Sometimes you hit the jackpot and other times you can't find anything you need.

We try to go after we've eaten to avoid the temptation to purchase overpriced food while we're out. The fact that there aren't a lot of vegan offerings make it a little easier on us. We always bring water to fend off the thirsty whinies. In the past we've taken our red wagon to tow our tired younger ones in. I'm not sure if they'll still fit but we've discovered a playground nearby. We plan to hit it before heading home. Hopefully that little carrot will help keep the little ones in check.

I almost forgot to mention, my favorite part of this event is that it is all within waking distance of our house! That just satisfies me on so many levels.

I'm also looking forward to taking a walk the morning after the tag sale when everyone puts their stuff out for the garbage man. You'd be amazed how much usuable stuff is tossed after an event like this.

No comments: