Wednesday, July 13, 2005

What to Do With a Rainy Day

Today we headed to the library, since a storm was brewing, and took out a whole slew of movies and books. I confess I had a fine on my library card for a late DVD. That's the worst kind of fine, it costs a dollar. I hang my head in frugal shame. (In my defense, that fine was there since last summer.) Still, I don't want to make this a habit so to prevent future occurences, I'm hanging the slip with the due dates in a prominent place.

If you're wondering how I feel about letting my kids veg out in front of the tv on a rainy day, it doesn't bother me at all because it is such a rare occurence. We don't have cable here and the tv antenna is a joke. If its not on tape or DVD, my kids can't view it here. Plus, the tv is never on when the weather is good.

While the kids relaxed with movies, I flipped through my copy of the Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzyn. This is a book I definitely think is worth owning because each time I flip through it, I learn something new. Its a thrill to see what I've implemented since the last time I peeked at it. The variety of topics covered make it a great jumping off point for further research.

Todays meals started in the solar ovens but ended in the slow cooker once the clouds took over. I'm really enjoying learning to use the solar ovens. There's more rain in tomorrow's forecast so I think I'll give fireless cookery a try for tomorrow's dinner. As for the kids, we will include more games and crafty activities if tomorrow is unsuitable for being outdoors.

We got a break from rain this evening long enough to take a fairly long bike ride. This is the kind of exercise I enjoy most because it masquerades as innocent family fun. The kids all love to bike ride. We also got to enjoy the last two songs of a free outdoor concert. Every Tuesday in the summer there are free concerts at the local park. Maybe next week we'll get there in time to hear more than two songs!

No comments: