Thursday, March 23, 2006

Cell Phones

Mercy, uncluttering is a chore but at least the process has begun. I'll attack another pile today.

As of Monday we cut our cell phone service way down. Jim got rid of his cell phone completely, he's got a beeper and he's never far from a phone. He threw his old one in the glove compartment so he can dial 911 in a pinch. I still have my cell phone but now only have 25 minutes a month. It'll only cost us $15 a month now down from almost $70. Everyone knows to only use it in emergencies and calling mom to ask if you can put on a video for your brothers is not an emergency. (I didn't make that up, I actually got that call on Tuesday.) BTW, we'd been thinking about this for a while and really began monitoring our phone use a few months ago to see if this was feasible.

On the food front, last night we made pizza using Russell's TVP sausage recipe. Wow, it was unbelievably good. I couldn't get my daughters' to keep their hands out of the pan while I was cooking it. I gave prebaking the pizza crust for 5 minutes a try. It definitely made a crispier crust. Since I only have one pizza stone and I make 4 pizza's at a time, I think this might be the route I go for right now.

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

Isn't my husband amazing? :)

We're making pizza tomorrow night. I'm going to post a little bit about it on my blog, and I don't want to be repetitive.

Glad you liked the recipe! :) I think I'm gonna try it with tofu scrambler some morning, maybe in between oat flax zuchinni waffles. It'd be a healthy Mc Griddles!!! :)

Ruthie

Katie said...

Ruthie, do you make your own waffles and if you do, how do you keep them from sticking without using a gallon of oil?

Ruthie said...

Good question. :) My father-in-law didn't believe me either. All you really need is nonstick spray, but we stopped using that b/c its pretty environmentally unfriendly. Now I coat the waffle iron with shortening (just before the first waffle), and use a very thick, very low fat waffle batter. I also only use little globs so it doesn't go to the edges where its not as hot, and I cook it for quite awhile. They don't have that super crispy melt-in-your-mouth waffle texture, but they are not artery clogging and Russell still begs for them :-D

Ruthie

By the way, the batter I use is the Classic Pancake batter from How It All Vegan with part of the flour replaced with oat flour. I'd suggest have a skillet running at the same time, and if the waffle thing totally isn't working out make pancakes instead. :)

Katie said...

Good plan Ruthie. Every couple of months I borrow my mom's waffle iron (she doesn't use it either) and give waffles a try. Maybe its time to try again.