Friday, March 24, 2006

A Successful Slow Cooker Experiment & Tamari Almonds

Last night I made Brilliant Baked Beans from How It All Vegan but I made them in the slow cooker. I cooked the beans in the slow cooker overnight and drained them. I sauteed the onions and garlic on the stove and put them and the rest of the ingredients into the cooker. I let it cook on low all day and the results were really good. Jim took the leftovers for lunch.

I had found whole almonds on sale the other day so I made tamari almonds for everyone to take as snack today. They're so easy to make. I put about two cups of almonds on an ungreased cookie sheet, use one with edges to keep the nuts from running away. Place these in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5 minutes. Pour 2-3 TBS tamari over them and a sprinkle of garlic powder. I use about 1/4 tsp but you might want to use more. Use a pancake turner to evenly coat the almonds with the tamari and garlic powder. Return to oven for 5 more minutes. Mix them around again, return them to the oven and turn off the heat. Let them sit in the oven for five minutes, remove and let cool. These have a slightly odd texture until they cool down but once they cool down they are addictive!

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

Congrats on the success with the slowcooker! I am domestically challenged when it comes to them!

Katie said...

Don't fret Harmonia, it took me a long time to figure the slow cooker out.