Thursday, June 01, 2006

Denim Quilts & My Favorite Dressing

The first of the denim quilts is completely sewn and just waiting to be knotted. I can't believe how quickly it went using the sewing machine. I've started sewing the squares for the next one, I save knotting for when I'm watching movies with Jim, but I'll need to start cutting out more squares very soon. Its very exciting to watch a project come together. It's even more exciting to hear my teenagers reaffirm their desire to have a quilt made for them as well.

I've been tinkering a lot recently with salad dressings. If you read the labels on commercial salad dressings they sound like a chemistry experiment. If you read the price tag on the more food based or organic dressings, you'll pass out. Here's my favorite dressing. Its not a precise recipe but it's really quite simple.

Maple Mustard Dressing
First, find an old ketchup bottle or other bottle that you have to squeeze to get the contents out. This prevents huge blobs on the kid's, or the adult's, plates. The dressing itself is just a mix of:
pure maple syrup
regular mustard
dijon mustard

I start off with equal amounts of maple syrup and regular mustard. I add a blob of dijon mustard, mix and taste. I make my adjustments from there, usually adding a bit more mustard. I'll be posting more dressing recipes over the next few days.

Here's a parting thought on other scary things in our food. Check out this article from the current issue of Mother Earth News. Its just one more reason to skip the soda.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

That sounds good. I may try it soon.

I make 1000 island with veganaise. Not real low fat, but tasty.

Barbara

Katie said...

That's Jim's favorite!