Friday, July 21, 2006

Baked Chickpea Snack

Vivacious Vegan asked how I baked the chickpeas. I thought others might be interested, so here it is. I first saw a recipe like this in How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. It was called Chickpean Nibbles. It didn't sound like anything I'd want to try.

One day while talking to my very carnivorous brother, he mentioned that he was baking chickpeas. It turns out, he and his wife love these. That really peaked my interest. I had to try them!

I grease two large cookie sheets so I can make two different flavors but that's really up to you. The measurements are approximate. You want to wind up with a single layer of chickpeas that covers the entire bottom of your cookie sheet. Here are our two favorite ways to make these:

3 cups cooked chickpeas
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp cajun spices

or

3 cups cooked chickpeas
2 Tbs tamari
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Combine, spread on greased cookie sheet and put in preheated 400 degree oven. I bake them about 15 minutes, stir and then bake another 15 minutes. You may want to bake them a little longer if you prefer a crispier snack.

10 comments:

AnnMarie said...

Do you start with dried chickpeas or canned/wet ones? I can't wait to try this!

Katie said...

Oops, they are supposed to be cooked.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Thanks for posting. I'm probably going to make up a batch (or two) tomorrow. These sound yummy.

Ruthie said...

We made this snack for our first bus trip with cooked soybeans. It was good but strange. I think I was imagining it more like those roasted soybeans you buy in the bulk food section. Instead the beans were crispy but coated with stuff. :) Still good, though.

Katie said...

Your welcome, enjoy them!

Hey Ruthie, are you all moved in now?

Ruthie said...

Yep, but I think "all moved in" may be overstating it. :) Unpacking is a necessary pain. It's truly beautiful here, with the mountains and rivers. There are other good things too: community gardens, a little flower bed outside my apt (which I plan to use for lettuce and sugar snap peas) and a big all-organic coop. There is also a CSA that I am planning on looking into tomorrow at the farmers market.

Now all I have to do is find a job :0(

Katie said...

That sounds like exciting stuff. The job thing just gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

I made these last night finally. My sister and I kept eating them right out of the oven they were so snack-a-licious. However, we put the remainder in a tupperware and into the fridge. They turned soggy and had really lost their charm. How do you usually store them? Pantry?

Katie said...

I have to confess, with four kids we rarely have leftovers of these but on the rare occasion that we do, I've stored them in an airtight container in my pantry.

If you know you're going to have leftovers you might want to cook them a little longer to eliminate a bit more moisture and limit your mold potential.

Unknown said...

I'm going to try these...but use COCONUT OIL instead of olive oil. So many people cook with olive oil and it is not an oil thats mean't to be heated past 250 degrees! Check out the explanation on: WHfoods.com