Friday, July 14, 2006

French Dressing

This recipe is based on the Sweet Tomato-y French recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzyn. Some of the changes I made were based on taste (using garlic powder instead of minced garlic, onion powder instead of minced onion and less sugar), others were made because I was out of an ingredient (white vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.) One change was made just because I forgot to add an ingredient (I forgot the canola oil.) This has become a family favorite. Its another example of a condiment that's vegan without being in your face about it.

I make this in an old ketchup bottle. To cut down on waste and mess, measure 2/3 cup water and pour it into the empty ketchup bottle. Put your finger at the spot the water comes up to or draw a line on the outside of the bottle. Pour out the water and fill to that spot. Viola, you've measured your ketchup without trying to figure out how to get it all out of the measuring cup.

Katie's Catalina Dressing
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Combine in an old ketchup bottle, cover and shake well. Refrigerate.

4 comments:

rachel said...

omg love your measuring technique! it's genius!

Katie said...

Thanks! Can you tell that I hate to do dishes??

urban vegan said...

I used to make this. I think it's time to revisit it, thanks to your post. I love the Tightwad Gazettes--changed my life.

Katie said...

I love rediscovering old favorites and the TIghtwad Gazette is full of them.