Saturday, January 22, 2005

Vegan Pizza Night

Friday was pizza night at my house. It was a family affair and each one of the kids had a job. The girls greased the pans, grated the soy cheese, and helped roll out the dough, the boys helped spread the grated soy cheese. While all this was going on, I made the sauce from this really easy recipe from the Vegetarian Resource Group. I had used my last jar from this summers canning experiment earlier in the week. More on my foray into canning another time. For now just know that it was definitely worthwhile.

We made four pizzas using 2, 2 pound pizza dough recipes. (Yes, I know thats four pounds!) We used one block of soy cheese for all four. How was this accomplished without looking skimpy? I cut the block of soy cheese into 4 sections before grating it, this way every pizza had the same amount. It worked out extremely well. Our friend joined us for dinner so we ended up comfortably feeding 3 adults, 2 teens, and 2 kids. I don't know if you can get more frugal or delicious than that!

My next goal is to experiment with some of the recipes in The Uncheese Cookbook by Joan Stepaniak. I've only tried 2 or 3 of her recipes and they've all been tasty. I suspect I may be able to cut the cost of the soy cheese I used on the pizza by using one of her recipes. Of course, it will have to pass the family taste test:-)

Tonight I'm experimenting with a New England Baked Beans recipe that I found in possibly the most un-veg cookbook ever, Cast Iron Cooking from Johnnycakes to Blackened Redfish. There's always something to be learned, even in a cookbook that has cooked squirrel recipes.

No comments: