Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The First Day of School

I wasn't wrong, the peaceful tranquility of the Adirondack Mountains have given way to the hustle bustle of the Hudson Valley. I feel like I've been moving at the speed of light since Monday afternoon. I'm not sure if there is enough organic fair trade coffee on the planet to keep me going until Friday.

We made it through our first day of school. Lunches and snacks were made the night before which worked out really well. Everyone's sandwich and snack containers are labeled so if one goes missing I at least know which school or locker to send the search party to.

The muffins I made for breakfast were a hit, which is good because I made enough for two days! I used the basic muffin recipe that Amy Dacyzyn included in the Complete Tightwad Gazette for the first time, mainly because I had a lot of little bits of leftover cereal, juice, oatmeal, etc. and that's what the recipe is aimed at. I know that list sounds hideous but they were quite tasty. The trick is making sure not to include flavors that will clash horribly. The downside is I'll never be able to recreate these muffins again.

I have to confess, I didn't bake my own bread this week. I went to the bakery outlet store instead.

No comments: