Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Hectic Night

Our CSA pickup is a lot bigger since we added the third share for fall. I also teach a Pilates class on the same night as pickup. It makes Tuesday nights a little hectic at our house as we try to get the food stored away, eat dinner and get the kids to bed on time. As an added bonus, we finished the last loaf of bread making yesterday's lunches and all the muffins got eaten for breakfast. Frankly, I'm pooped just thinking about it.

Here's how we dealt with it all and came out ok. First, dinner had to be quick and it had to be tolerable as a lunch for my kids (remember the no "weird foods" clause that my daughters' invoke.) Peanut noodles (reipe is in Peta cooks) were the perfect solution, everyone loves them. I also threw together a veggie soup with any remaining veggies from last weeks CSA pick up. Start by sauteeing the long cooking veggies (onions, carrots, beets, celery etc). After these are softened add quick cooking veggies (greens, green beans, corn, etc) Add some leftover tomato sauce and a squirt of Bragg's and you'll have a pretty good soup. Throw in leftovers if you have them. Use your imagination just be sure not to combine spices that don't blend well. For example, the leftover Indian dish wouldn't have gone well in this soup.

Scones are the quickest thing I can throw together for breakfast, so I did. To make things a little different, I mixed them in the bowl that had held the peanut noodles and topped them with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar. It gave them just a hint of peanutty sweet taste, which everyone here likes. It reminds me of a coffee cake. With luch and breakfast taken care of, I could turn my attention to stowing away the veggies.

Today, there's some canning on the agenda (more sauce) and some baking (bread).

No comments: