Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My Productive Day

Yesterday was extremely productive inside the house which almost makes up for the fact that we didn't finish clearing the snow/ice outside the house. Later this afternoon I've got to shovel the path and finish the driveway. (Who's idea was this really long driveway anyhow??)

With a little help from the kids, I packed away the Christmas decorations. I'm really not a scrooge but the tree was in the way. We baked 6 loaves of whole wheat bread, 4 loaves of cinnamon bread and I finally made a batch of refrigerator potato roll dough. I figured the bread bucket was already dirty, why not keep going! I've frozen some of it, hopefully for next week.

For dinner I made a split pea soup with Cajun Seasoning. Its a variation on a recipe from Nava Atlas' American Harvest Cookbook.

In a crock pot on high:
Spray bottom with cooking spray
Layer into crockpot:
2 chopped onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
5 diced potatoes (I leave the skin on)
2 bay leaves

Cook on high for 1/2 hour
Add in:
2 cups dried split peas
1 cup frozen corn (optiona)
Boiling water to cover (I go about an inch above the split peas/corn)

Cook on high 5-6 hours
During last 1/2 hour uncover and add 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning or more if you like it spicy.

It's really hearty and delicious. I didn't have corn so I used carrots that I'd canned this fall. They worked very well in the soup. BTW, it cooks well on stovetop too.

No comments: