Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Refrigerator Potato Rolls

I was really pleased with these rolls. I believe the original recipe was from the Cornell Bread Book. I've made it vegan by eliminating the powdered milk and eggs and replacing the honey with blackstrap molasses. I also substitute flaxseed meal for the wheat germ in the original recipe. I just never have wheat germ in the house but I always have flaxseed meal.

Here's my version of the recipe:

Cut 3 medium potatoes into small cubes, leaving the skin on. Boil until tender. Drain, reserving potato water, and mash them adding in potato water as needed to get the right consistency. (If you don't like the "chunks" of potato skin, run it through a food processor.) Set this aside to cool

Place the following in your bread bucket or mixing bowl and mix to combine:
1 1/4 cup of the reserved potato water (this needs to have cooled to 105-115 degrees, it should feel warm, not hot. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast.)
4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (this is the equivalent of 2 packages)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
2 tsp salt

Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast begins to really bubble. Add in:
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 cup soy flour
5-6 cups of whole wheat bread flour

Mix until all ingredients are well blended and then knead lightly. (I used my bread bucket and stirred for about 5 minutes.) Place in an oiled bowl in the fridge for at least 5-6 hours. To bake shape into rolls, crescents, breadsticks, whatever you like. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour. In a pinch you can skip the rising but your roll will be denser.

The general rule for baking this is 350 degrees for 20 minutes but you made need more or less time depending on how big your rolls are.

I was able to make four batches of 12 rolls from this dough.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm glad you're enjoying my blog! Your vision of a bread bucket is not too far off. Its a bucket with a dough hook attached to a crank. It runs on human power rather than electricity. I can mix about 6 loaves of bread in mine at one time.

Even though these were commonly called bread buckets, you won't find any info under that name. I really don't know why.

If you're looking to see a picture of one, do a search at www.ebay.com for a "vintage universal bread maker" or "vintage bread maker". A picture is worth a thousand words on this. Let me know if its still not clear.

Anonymous said...

A few months ago I tried to find a nice used bread bucket online or on ebay with no luck. The only ones available were very old and I wouldn't use them in for baking. Just the other day, in a thrift store, I came across an updated version by Mirro. It is vintage, but I will gladly use it. I also came across another option to look out for--Back to Basics Brand has a bread maker bucket that is stainless steel. Keep an eye out on ebay as I don't think the company makes them anymore.

Do you have any advise on recipes for 4-6 loaves of bread at a time? Can I just triple a single bread recipe? Thanks for any help

Katie said...

I just triple whatever bread recipe I'm using and it works out fine. My favorite whole wheat bread recipe is Barbara's

http://frugal-pdx-living.blogspot.com/2006/10/well-i-made-my-improved-bread-recipe.html

It works out beautifully in the bread bucket.