Friday, January 06, 2006

Sweet and Spicy Lentil Chili Review

I added a link to the Vegetarian Slow Cooker group to yesterday's post. Its a great resource for slow cooker recipes. The Sweet and Spicy Lentil Chili was delicious and so were the potato rolls. No one was thrilled with the greens (turnip and beet) that we had as a side dish but everyone agreed they prefered them on the side rather than added to the chili.

We made banana cookies for dessert from an old fashioned woodstove cookbook. The kids liked them but I thought they needed work. I suspect part of the problem lies in the fact that the recipe had no oven temp or cooking time. (It said cook in a moderate oven until lightly browned.) I made a double batch of batter so I'll be playing with that recipe a bit more later today.

Today's menu is still up in the air. Its Friday and I'd like to make it a fun menu, like pizza but I'm beginning to run low on sauce. I'm leaning toward vegetarian sloppy joes made with TVP served on the potato rolls. I made this last week from scratch for the first time and it was a big hit. A veggie soup would round things out nicely, and if I run it through the Vitamix, no one will complain about the greens.

Also on today's agenda, organizing the kids, their chores and our expectations. We had a family meeting last night and we have part two tonight.

Tomorrow, I'll give you my two cents on the Joe Dominguez book.

Happy Friday!

No comments: