Monday, December 08, 2014

The Rug Reveal and an Announcement

Well, I've been less than consistent with keeping up the blog, given the 9 month gap between this post and my last one.  Interestingly, that hasn't stopped people from visiting this space.  I'm glad its being viewed and I hope its being enjoyed.

The last post referenced a better rug making technique and asked if people could identify the raw materials and the means of assembly.  AnnMarie and DJ guessed t-shirts and that is absolutely correct.

The technique remained a mystery.  Now for the big reveal, they're knitted flat on giant circular knitting needles.  I believe I used size 35.  The end product is thick, squishy and entirely machine washable and dryable.

So far these rugs have made it into the hands of my both of my daughters and a professor from Syracuse who won one that I donated for a silent auction.  Of course a few are in use at my house but that, I'm sure, surprises no one.

In other news, I just participated in my second craft fair this past weekend.  It will be no surprise to anyone reading that my items are made from upcycled fabrics.

Here's a peek at a few of my items:



Back in March, I mentioned that I set up an Etsy shop but hadn't had the courage to put anything into it and actually launch the shop.  Fear is powerful.  I participated in The Sewing Party in early November and one of the online classes was Becoming an Etsy Entrepreneur.  That class gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get the shop up and running.  

So let me introduce you to my Etsy shop, SavedbyKate  The inventory levels of current items listed will be updated by Wednesday as I incorporate leftover craft fair stock into the shop.  New items will be added by Wednesday as well, like those tote bags you see above.  

This is a new experience and definitely one I'm learning from, so I welcome your feedback.  Of course, I'd love it if you share my shop with your friends.

I'm looking forward to sharing this new adventure with you!


No comments: