Thursday, April 28, 2005

Thoughts on Potatoes in the Slow Cooker

Honestly, glue is the first thing that comes to mind. I peeled and quartered potatoes and put them in my slow cooker on low with just enough water to cover the bottom of the crock. I oiled the crock first, I hate when things stick. I had read somewhere that this would "bake" the potatoes. It definitely cooks them but I wouldn't serve them as baked potatoes, they're rather gummy.

Being the local queen of food rescue, I sauteed some onions, mashed the potatoes with some soymilk and water and then ran the whole mess through my blender (its a VitaMix, I killed too many regular blenders over the years.) Everthing then went back in the pot with a dash of Bragg's and a bit of pepper. Once heated, it was cream of potato soup and it tasted pretty good.

Since I had to thin it down, we ended up with quite a lot. This fits in nicely with my quick meal theme, so the leftovers went into the freezer for a quick meal down the road.

On tonight's menu, stir fry. My 12 year old is making it in her home and careers class and wants to try it at home tonight.

No comments: