Sunday, July 10, 2005

Burger Rolls

Sometimes a frugal veggie mama has to compromise. Such is the case with my weekly purchase of veggie burgers and Silk at the local mom and pop grocery store in our town. Things like veggie burgers and other vegetarian fare don't stay on the shelves without demand, so we decided to purchase them locally this summer despite the slightly higher price.

On the positive side, we can walk to this grocery store and avoid using our car. There is certainly a savings there, both monetarily and environmentally. On the other hand there is no way that I'm going to pay for burger rolls as well. The time has come for me to master burger rolls.

For this evenings dinner I successfully cooked burger rolls in our solar oven using our usual bread recipe. I just defrosted one of the loaves from my batch of frozen bread, shaped the rolls and popped them in the oven, talk about convenient. I need a little work on my shaping but the texture and taste were really good.

Sometimes my best solutions are my simplest ones.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I really like the solar oven concept but there is definitely a learning curve in learning to use it. I've been using it for about a month now and I'm finally mastering it.

A google search will give lots of great info.