Saturday, April 28, 2007

No Tomato Paste, No Problem!

I was making tomato sauce last night when I discovered I had no tomato paste. Aside from being tired and unwilling to run out to the store, I had no desire to spend money on tomato paste. It didn't fit in with my living mainly out of the cupboard plan. At the same time, my family gets grumbly with watery tomato sauce.

Here's my simple solution. I took a can of diced tomatoes and gave them a whirl in my Vita-Mix. Then I poured them through a fine mesh strainer. The end result was tomato paste and tomato juice. I used the tomato paste in the sauce and the tomato juice is in the fridge waiting to be used in another recipe.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Okay, that is very clever! I will have to remember that for the future.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Nobody makes a fatfree vegan pizza sauce and I rarely make it from scratch. (Since I don't have a source for cheap organic tomatoes, cooking it from scratch doesn't save me any money and it costs me time!) So, for pizzas, I strain Trader Joe's fatfree spaghetti sauce in a fine mesh strainer for half an hour. The flavorful juice is saved for another recipe and the remaining sauce is thick enough to top a pizza crust without making it soggy. Now if I could just get my homemade crusts to rise consistently...

Chile

heather said...

Great idea