Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween

If you haven't checked out The Vegan Lunchbox today, do it now. As usual, Jennifer doesn't disappoint. I confess, I've bought her cookbook. There was no way to read her blog day after day and not want to have a copy for myself!

James sent me a really neat recipe link for Sandie's Menu. I haven't tried the recipes yet but the they look really intriguing.

Yesterday's Autumn Harvest Stew was very good despite the accidental overdose of thyme. The shaker cap fell of my dried thyme and about 1/4 cup of it went in. I was able to fish a good portion of it out but there was clearly more than planned in there. The flavors blended together nicely and it reminded me of the vegetable strudel we had at a get together Sunday, minus the excess thyme of course.

The vegetable strudel was a medley of vegetables including portabello mushrooms, which add something special to any dish, in a light gravy wrapped in phylo dough (at least I suspect it was phylo dough.) It was very good. I always enjoy having a meal out that I would never have time to assemble at home.

I did end up buying the little bags of pretzels to give out, as well as candy. At least if we wind up with leftovers, I can use the pretzels in my kids lunchboxes, guilt free.

Tonight's dinner is a mystery! I'm just throwing some dried beans in the slow cooker and deciding what to do with them when I get home. I don't feel very creative this morning. I've also got a fridge full of produce and a CSA pickup tonight. Yikes, I need to get cooking! I'll let you know how the mystery turns out tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked the harvest stew.