Thursday, October 12, 2006

What Can You Do With Seitan?

Johanna wanted to know more about how I use seitan. It seems to me that you first have to find a good recipe for the seitan itself before you worry about how to use it. Isa Chandra Moskowitz provided that recipe in her awesome cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance. Luckily, she also posts it on her website. Honestly, if you use her recipe as a starting point, you can't go wrong.

Once the seitan has been cooked and cooled I use it in much the same way I use tofu. It works wonderfully in the Veggie Bacon Recipe, although mariniating it first is a must. This weekend we tried it as an addition to our potato scramble with very good results as well. Its great pan fried in barbeque sauce or other sauce (Like Isa's Jerk sauce.) You can also slice it thinly and use it in sandwiches with mustard. Truth be told, my daughters will both eat it right out of the cooking broth with no additional seasoning.


I'd like to try it simmered in tomato sauce as a meatball replacement but I haven't tried it yet. If anyone has, please share your results.

On another note, I've discovered that the search my blog archives function is not working as well as I'd hoped. If this blog is to be a really useful resource, I'm going to need to add an topic index. My quick perusal of blogger.com leads me to believe I need to upgrade to blogger Beta to do this. Life is currently too busy for me to give this my full attention but know that changes are on the horizon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you share how you made the seitan in the crock-pot? That sounds great! I have made seitan before, but never in the crock-pot...I am very curious! Please share!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips!

Patience said...

Greetings. I recently stumbled across your blog -- it seems we may have a number of commonalities in regards to diet and cooking styles (frugality too!)....

I like to prepare seitan often myself -- alternately cooking it in the crockpot or pressure cooker (whichever is more convenient at the time). My family loves it. We have a number of favorite seitan dishes -- I'd be happy to swap recipes sometime...!

--Penny

Katie said...

Penny,
I'd love to see some of those recipes. I'm especially curious about using the pressure cooker.