Monday, January 16, 2006

Gardening & Cooking

Its freezing in NY! I kept warm yesterday by watching the first of the Square Foot Gardening videos by Mel Bartholomew. I am really excited about giving his system a try. He relies on 4 foot by 4 foot raised beds. The beds are then further divided into 1 foot by 1 foot squares. Each of these squares contains one type of veggie. This fits in nicely with our plans to gradually create a garden at the cabin.

He saves his extra seeds by placing them in a glass jar in the fridge and claims they will last 5-10 years using this method. Can you get any more frugal than that? Now I just need to scrounge some boards to make the sides of my raised bed...

I've also been experimenting with the a cookbook from the 70's called New Penny Pincher's Cookbook by Sophie Leavitt. I made oatmeal pie last night and actually it was pretty good, a sort of low budget pecan pie. I'll share some of my more successful experiments over the next few days.

5 comments:

Ruthie said...

Katie, I LOVE Sq Foot Gardening. That book is what got me into gardening in the first place, it was so simple, yet so complete. :)

Hope the kids got back to school in one peice with all that snow. It's been in the high 70s here, we're still wearing shorts and sandals!

Ruthie

Katie said...

Ruthie,
I agree, it seems brilliantly simple.

I'm so jealous of your shorts and sandals! My kids are all hoping for an early dismissal due to ice and snow this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I have occasionally thought about Sophie Leavitt's Penny Pinchers Cookbook which I had bought back in the 1970's when my ex-husband and I lived in Ozark, AL when he was going to school to get his Aircraft Machanics/A & P License. I have only a few ripped out pages and have often thought I'd like to buy a new copy, but this is no longer printed (the handbook side, black with yellow lettering on the cover) and when I saw your name listing it, I actually cried!

I have been wanting to find this as there were a few recipe's I had made that actually tasted pretty good.


Dee

Katie said...

Why don't you give ebay a try? I just did a search by the title and came up with a copy. Good luck!

Homly Foods said...

I would like to say that cooking is a interesting profession. Today men are also joining cooking as a profession in India. We are also providing online Tiffin service in Jaipur. If you have any event so you can request online bulk Tiffin order in Jaipur.