Thursday, January 12, 2006

Introducing Mary to the Thrift Store

Yesterday, I introduced my sister, Mary, to "Family Day" at the Salvation Army thrift store. On Wednesdays, all but one tag color are 50% off. She got 3 pairs of jeans and a shirt for $11. Now she's hooked! Its really cool to watch someone experience thrift store prices for the first time.

I was able to pick up a beautiful winter jacket for my older son for $4. It won't fit hime for a year or two but he's hard on coats, so it pays to have a replacement in the wings.

On the food front, we're still enjoying vegetables that were either frozen or canned over the summer and fall. I think we may make it all the way to the first harvest from our CSA in June! (If you're not sure what a CSA is, check out The Robyn Van En Center to learn more or to find a CSA near you.

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew is on hold at the library for me. Check out Mel's website for a plethora of frugal gardening info.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi Sadie,

She's definitely hooked. She couldn't stop talking about how much she got for how little. I remember the first time I experienced that. I was telling anyone who would listen about it.

Monstergirl,

I'd love to see that article. Thanks!