Monday, January 09, 2006

How to Say Thank You with Pasta, Peas, Potato Rolls & Leftover Sloppy Joe

Some days I just have trouble thinking it all through. Yesterday was one of those days. We left the house early to pick up a couch and recliner from my inlaws. Thanks to a rented a van and some borrowed some muscle from my brother-in-law, we got our "new" furniture in the house with relative ease. Unfortunately, during this flurry of activity, I forgot about planning something to eat.

Thanks to some quick thinking on Jim's part, I made peanut noodles with peas but it didn't seem like enough, especially for a guest who had just lugged a monsterous couch across the icy tundra that is my front yard. Thankfully, I still had some refrigerator potato roll dough which I quickly shaped into rolls. I put these near the wood stove to rise. I gave them barely 15 minutes before popping them into the oven. We also had some leftover vegan sloppy joe, which I warmed up to serve with the rolls. In the end, it looked like quite a spread.

Ironically, dinner snuck up on us as well. All the furniture moving sparked a cleaning frenzy and no one noticed the time until it was well after 6pm. I rummaged through the fridge and came up with small containers of Peanut soup and Sweet & Spicy Lentil Chili from the week. Tasha minced two cloves of garlic. Leen chopped one onion. I added one quart of carrots, frozen beet greens, the leftovers and a handful of bulgur. 15 minutes later, we had a pretty good soup along with toasted potato rolls and the remaining peanut noodles. Whew!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

The "guest who had just lugged a monsterous couch across the icy tundra" really enjoyed the spread! Where does one buy TFP?

Katie said...

That's good to hear! I'm fairly certain that TVP (which stands for textured vegetable protein-doesn't that sound appealing??) is one of those items that you'll only find at a health food or natural food store. A regular grocery store with a big natural food section might have it.