Thursday, January 05, 2006

Hand Me Down Jackpot!

Tke kids have a two hour delay today because of icy roads. Welcome to winter in the Hudson Valley. I don't teach on days with delayed or cancelled school. So far, I've only taught aerobics 2 days this week but I burned plenty of calories chipping ice off the driveway.

Yesterday, I taught my nutrition program at the preschool. We were learning about where flour comes from and how to make bread. In years past, I used an electric breadmaker, this year I used the old fashioned bread bucket exclusively. The kids got to sniff the ingredients (did you know yeast is stinky?) and do all the mixing. I've been doing this for 9 years and I've never gotten as many compliments on my program as I did yesterday.

I just found a recipe for Sweet and Spicy Lentil Chili from the Healthy Vegetarian Slow Cooker group I belong to. I'm going to give this a try for dinner tonight. I'm also planning to debut the refrigerator potato rolls.

Last night we visited my in-laws for dinner. They are in the middle of a huge purge. We left last night with 2 comforters, assorted games, a tracphone (I don't care about it but my daughters are thrilled), and a host of other things that I can't remember. In the next week or two, we'll be taking their couch and reclining rocking chair. Due to a lack of kids in their home, these are in much better shape than my newer couch and chairs.

The moral of that visit is:
It pays to make it known that you don't mind hand me downs!

Tomorrow I'll give my reviews of the chili and potato rolls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you post a link to the veg slow cooker group? I get very little use from mine, the first one I got was broken which didn't help and the replacement hasn't really done much, I don't seem to be able to get the hang of it, but I'd like to so inspiration would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Katie said...

You just need a few good ideas and then you'll love your slow cooker.
Here's the link for the Vegetarian Slow Cooker Group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegslowcooker/

The best part about this group is the searchable archives.