Friday, January 20, 2006

A New Twist on the Red Lentil Roast

I got bored. Then I got creative. The next thing I knew, I was tinkering with the Red Lentil Roast recipe. I still like the original (its posted again in yesterday's comments) but this is just another loaf option.

Barbequed Red Lentil Roast
In a medium pot place:
2 large potatoes, chopped
enough water to just cover the potatoes (the exact measurement depends on the size of your potatoes)

Add:
3 cups uncooked red lentils
4 cups water
Simmer until soft and water is absorbed, about 25 minutes

In a seperate pan saute:
2 large chopped onions
3 cloves garlic
You can sautee in oil or water, your choice.

Combine:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar (although I think you might be able to use less)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp mustard (its supposed to be dry mustard but regular works fine in a pinch)
2 Tbs flax seed meal
1 cup oatmeal
2 tsp dried parsley

In a large bowl mix together potato lentil mixture, onion garlic mixture, and remaining ingredients. The mixture should be fairly thick. If it seems too soupy add a little more oatmeal. Spoon into greased 9x12 pan. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until crispy on top.

If you mix together a batch of your own barbeque sauce, you could either top it before baking for extra flavor or put it on the table at serving time.

I didn't forget the freezer/canning evaluation. I'm still working on it.

7 comments:

AnnMarie said...

This has nothing to do with the Lentil post...I've been reading your older posts and I want to try making the no fry donuts this weekend. But it didn't say what temp overn to bake them at. Could you let me know (via email at paulukon(at)yahoo.com ) Thank you!!!!

Katie said...

Thanks snowpeople! It seems a lot of people are including meatless meals in their repertiore whether its to save a little money or to improve their health. This blog is for anyone looking to eat frugal, healthy meals so welcome aboard. You don't have to be vegetarian.

I haven't frozen the leftovers of this, although I imagine they would freeze well. I usually slice the leftovers down (wait until the loaf has been in the fridge, slicing will be much easier), pan fry them until crispy on the outside and use them as a lunch or a quick dinner the following day. Its not especially creative but its functional.

I've also sliced it down, pan fried it and served it at breakfast along with pancakes as sort of a cross between a hash brown and a breakfast sausage patty.

Ruthie has halved the original lentil loaf recipe with pretty good success so that may be another option.

I cook huge amounts because I'm cooking for 6 and they generally don't mind leftovers.

Annmarie,
I emailed you directly but in case anyone else is curious, the oven temp for the no fry donuts should be 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. I'll be going into the archives and correcting that shortly.

Ruthie said...

If your family has an appetite anything like my husband's, you won't have to worry about leftovers hanging around too long ;)

Ruthie

Barbara said...

I made the red lentil roast (the original recipe) yesterday. It came out fine and both I and my partner liked it. Unfortunately, something in it didn't like me this morning.

It could have been the yeast (I've had it before but not in such a quantity) or the tamari,which I also put on it. I've never had tamari.

Barbara

Katie said...

Ruthie, your hubby and mine have a lot in common. Jim's working this morning and his coooler full of food for the day just cleared out the fridge of any leftovers.

Barbara,

I'm sorry to hear that. I think Ruthie cut the nutritional yeast in half when she made it, so that may be worth a try. If its the tamari substituting Bragg's Aminos might work.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the combination of red lentils and oatmeal can create a bit of a fiber bomb, if you know what I mean.

Here's a thought, if you still have red lentils left, wait a while and give the Barbequed Red Lentil Roast a try. If that talks back as well, it may be the red lentils doing the talking.

AnnMarie said...

Katie thanks for the donut update. I wrote about them, as well as my try at the lentil roast in my blog this weekend and today: http://www.paulukonisstudio.com/am/simple/ You've really inspired me! I never got the email, so I'm glad you posted the temp here. Unfortunately, the donuts didn't work out very well. Maybe you can give me some tips? (They didn't rise but a tiny bit.)

I just discovered that I missed the mustard when writing the recipe down for the lentil roast. I wonder if that would have changed it enough for me (I love mustard!).

Katie said...

Annmarie,
I'm glad you're inspired! I have a couple of thoughts on the donuts.

First, I've discovered over the last year that putting the wet ingredients together first and letting the yeast get bubbly first really makes a difference in the rising of the final product.

Also cold ingredients slow down rising dramatically. Your best bet is to have everything at room temperature.

Old yeast could slow things down as well.

Finally, whole wheat bread flour is a slower go rising than white flour. It makes a denser product. You could split the flour amount 50/50 and use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour.