Thursday, January 19, 2006

What's Left? Evalutating the Canning and Freezing Efforts of this Past Year

Its January and although I'm perusing seed catalogs, growing season is a long way off. Now is a great time to see how much is left in the freezer and the cupboard. Will we make it to the end of May without buying veggies, frozen berries and applesauce? Am I using things evenly or is there a glut of something and too little of another thing?

I suspect that I've used a lot more tomato sauce than I intended. I also suspect that despite using a lot of greens, I haven't used them as much as I've used other veggies. Finally I keep forgetting about the applesauce and I think I need to use more than I have been.

Later today, I'll be investigating my suspicions and I'll let you know where we stand tomorrow.

On the menu tonight, Red Lentil Roast with gravy and mashed potatoes. There will be another veggie on the side but I won't know what until I investigate the freezer later today.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Here's the recipe. It originally appeared back on September 26th. Its quite simple but very tasty. Let me know if you like it.

Red Lentil Roast
In a medium pot place:
2 large potatoes, chopped
enough water to just cover the potatoes (the exact measurement depends on the size of your potatoes)

Add:
3 cups uncooked red lentils
4 cups water
Simmer until soft and water is absorbed, about 25 minutes

In a seperate pan saute:
2 large chopped onions
2 cloves garlic
You can sautee in oil or water, your choice.

Combine:
2 cups nutritional yeast
2 Tbs flax seed meal
2 Tbs tamari
1 cup oatmeal
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp dried thyme
In a large bowl mix together potato lentil mixture, onion garlic mixture, and remaining ingredients. The mixture should be fairly thick. If it seems too soupy add a little more oatmeal. Spoon into greased 9x12 pan. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until crispy on top.

Serve with your favorite gravy and a green vegetable