Friday, September 29, 2006

Vegans Don't Just Eat Vegetables!!! A Succint Rant on the Idiocy of Preconceived Notions

I don't expect people to do culinary back flips for my family when we are invited to an event but is it too much to expect that at least some rational thought will be given to our food needs? Do people honestly think we only eat vegetables? I could go on for a few hours with this but I won't.

Instead, let me encourage all my non-veg readers to find a vegetarian they know and ask them questions about the way they eat. Ask them why they are veg, or if its boring to be veg, or if they only eat vegetables or if they miss meat, or what they could eat if you went out to a particular restaurant together. Ask them for a taste of their favorite food, if you like it ask them to share the recipe (you might be surprised, they don't all contain "weird" ingredients.) Ask them anything you were ever curious about, they won't bite(after all they are veg!) If you don't know any real live vegetarians, ask your question here.

With intelligent dialogue, we can dispel many of the myths and preconceived notions that surround vegetarianism and veganism but someone has to start the conversation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it takes patience to explain... sometimes i just don't have it. :o) Someday, yes, this i pray!!!, we won't have to explain things, people will all eat that way and KNOW....

Anonymous said...

i understand you, is not easy so we need lots of patience but like Kleopatra say: some times i dont have it!

Ruthie said...

When everyone at work found out I was vegan they asked me a bajillion questions (still are). I brought in vegan brownies the next day and everyone was impressed. They still have their preconceived notions though. I said today, "My husband wont eat salad" and they freaked out!! "HOW CAN A VEGAN *NOT* EAT SALAD?!" oiiiiieeeeeeeeeee. :/

Anonymous said...

Good post. I'm the only veg person I know and frequently run into 'awkward' situations when dining at friend's homes or out to dinner when I'm not included in the decision of where we're eating.

One of my friends always seems to pick places where there are NO food options for me, not even a potato option. It makes it very difficult because I have to decide whether to starve or eat something I don't want to eat. I'm not sure if she does it intentionally or not - I'm hoping it's just been a coincidence.

Katie said...

Thanks guys, I knew you'd understand. Sometimes my patience is a bit lacking as well.

Midwestvegan
I really hate being put in the position of eating nothing or compromising my beliefs. There's no reason for it to happen and yet it does. Like you, I become a bit suspicious about the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

What a good post! I was having a conversation with a bunch of omnis and asked,"Don't you find the conventional meal equation boring? You know, your slab of meat/chicken/fish, vegetable option, and starch?" I got a lot of puzzled looks and shrugs.

It gets frustrating when people are really close minded about things. I understand if people don't want to adopt a veg lifestyle, but I don't enjoy being the subject of ridicule or discussion just because I have chosen that path.

Katie said...

Thanks Nikki.

Another source of frustration is when people make assumptions about what you will and won't eat. A simple bit of conversation could really enlighten. At the same time, I agree with what others have said. Sometimes I don't have the patience to be the teacher.